Why hello there, my ugly kitchen crew! One day I thought, “what can I make with leftover dried cranberries, apple juice, and vinegar?” It turns out those key ingredients can make a rather tasty chicken dinner. Add kale (yes, my favorite vegetable because i’m basic like that) for an even more nutritious and balanced meal.
I’ve created an affordable and delicious recipe on a whim that actually turned out to be edible!
1. Apple juice ~1 cup
2. Chicken thighs (breast works as well) 2 lbs or 2 packs from Costco
3. Kale – 1 bunch
4. Dried cranberries ~1/2 to 1 cup
5. White vinegar ~1/3 cup
6. Cornstarch or flour ~2 tbs
7. Red onion – 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
Total prep time: 20 minutes (actual time you spend cooking)
Total cooking time: 40 mins (your oven does the work for you while you go have fun doing something else)
This meal only requires 4 dishes to be washed: cutting board, casserole dish small bowl, and a pan.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Turn on pan to medium heat and saute the sliced red onions. Add all liquid ingredients and the dried cranberries to the pan and stir until mixed. Add salt to your preference.
- Add water to a small bowl and the cornstarch. Mix until it basically becomes cornstarch water. Then add to the pan. Let this sauce come to a simmer.
- Arrange kale in a single layer in the casserole dish and then place the chicken on top.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bake the chicken in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
Voila. Tangy, sweet, quick chicken with superfood kale. It’s ugly but it’s quick.