As someone who actually attended D23 Expo, here’s my review of it. It was my first time, but I actually learned a lot about how to attend this expo and now I have a better idea of what to expect. Being a blogger suffering from wanderlust, I find Disney experiences to be exciting because they transport you to another world. And D23 does that. In a large convention center.
Get There Early (like the day before)
Apparently, the Expo hosted 45,000 participants in 2015. In 2017, I felt like there were even more. All major panels were pretty much full several hours before. I had a ticket for the Saturday, July 15 event (the event is Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and the Live Action panel had people lining up since the night before at 10pm! We weren’t even going to be guaranteed a spot if we got in line hours before the 10AM Live Action panel. Well, good thing I’ve heard about it and all the other panels.
If you know a cast member, then you can get these tickets at ~30% discount. e.g. Saturday ticket was ~$56.
Your best bet is probably taking lyft/uber, but we parked at the Toy Story parking lot. Parking was around $20 at the Anaheim Convention Center and $12 at the Honda Center. If you’re cosplaying, you definitely want to consider how far you’ll have to walk in the Anaheim heat to get to the convention center.
$11 Acai bowls. Dip n Dots. There were some food trucks outside the Anaheim Convention Center. There’s a food court inside the convention center.
There are many events happening all around you. There are celebrities that are hosting panels and autograph signings. Keep your eyes peeled! You never know who you might walk by or what freebies will be handed out. We caught a glimpse of the voice actress of Moana as she was signing autographs! Albeit, it was a short-lived sight of fame but maybe if I had been more prepared I would’ve been able to get a picture before security shooed us away. Also, they hand out random little free trinkets now and then. There’s just so much going on, it’s pretty exciting to walk around.
Highlights of the Film Panels
- Untitled Disney Toons Studios Movie to be released April 12, 2019. It’s about the future of aviation.
- Frozen 21-minute featurette about Olaf’s Frozen adventure will be shown as part of the Disney Pixar movie Coco to be released November 22, 2017
- There was an audio technical difficulty during the panal but Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf, surprised the crowd with a new song
- Frozen 2, the sequel to the record breaking Frozen film, is to be released November 27, 2018
- Wreck-it Ralph 2 to be released and Taraji P. Henson will voice a new character called Yesss
- Incredibles 2 is slated for June 15, 2018. Fun fact, the director Brad Bird voices Edna Mode
- Toy Story 4 is planned to come out June 21, 2019
- Untitled Pixar movie by Dan Scanlon (the director for Monsters University) about a boy who lost his father
- Coco is going to feature a lot of music
I think Disney (the film industry perhaps) has a serious case of sequel fever. Sequels everywhere!
Live Action Panel
“Look under your seats! Because you get a poster! And you get a poster! Everyone gets a poster!” are the words that Oprah graced the crowd with at D23 Expo for the Live Action Panel… Just kidding. It didn’t really go like that. But, Oprah will be in a new movie that’s a film adaption of the book A Wrinkle in Time to be released March 9, 2019, directed by Ava Duvernay.
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is a spin on the original Nutcracker and will be out November 2, 2018 featuring Keira Knightley, Helen Mirren, Mackenzie Foy, Richard E. Grant, Morgan Freeman
- Mary Poppins Returns will be in theaters December 25, 2018 starring Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins
- Dumbo is being filmed in London and is slated for March 29, 2019
- Lion King is going to be released in 2019
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens December 1, 2017 . Luke Skywalker will speak in the film. Overall, I’m super excited. It’s going to be epic and wild ride
- Avengers: Infinity War will involve a super line up of super heros spanning the entire Marvel Universe. To be released May 4, 2018
Another fun fact, the first D23 Expo was back in 2009! As I’ve learned from this Expo, the diehard fan base is alive and strong.
Which movie are you most excited for? Would you go to the D23 Expo?